If you are an overt dog lover on Facebook, you should have come across Topi the Corgi, the cutest actor you would ever meet.
If you haven’t heard of him, where have you been? Let us introduce this little gem to you.
Topi is a three-year-old male Corgi pup from Finland and he stars in hilariously adorable videos inspired by daily life. His impeccable acting skills still amaze us every time we scramble to watch his new video.
Here are a few of our favourite videos:
Do you have a smile on your face now? Good. We are so inspired by Topi that we emailed his parents for an interview. If you are keen on learning more about him and how the family does the videos, keep reading!
1. Hi Topi’s parents, thanks for having us! Tell us a little about you guys.
We are a couple in our mid-twenties and we adopted Topi when he was just seven weeks old.
2. How did Topi the Corgi come about?
We started filming a little over a year ago. Before that, we only took silly pictures of Topi.
It was a beautiful sunny day at our summer house and we just spontaneously decided to make a video that showed a part of Topi’s relaxing weekend instead of taking pictures.
The feedback we got was overwhelming and people were asking for more so we, of course, had to do so! 🙂 We’re still so surprised by all the attention and kind words the videos receive.
3. What did you think catapulted Topi into fame?
The reasons may be the relatable themes, Topi’s expressions, and his sincere joyfulness when making the videos with us.
4. What’s your secret to creating such entertaining, funny, and adorable videos?
We don’t really have any “secrets”. Perhaps, it’s just our passion for making these videos. Of course, the biggest thank you belongs to Topi’s wonderful acting skills 😉
5. How long does it usually take to film and edit one video?
It depends on the subject. Sometimes we can film in a single day, sometimes it takes up to three to four days.
We take a lot of breaks during the shoots so Topi can have his beauty sleep along the way 🙂 The editing itself also takes a lot of time.
6. For the geeks out there, what video equipment do you use?
The programs we use are iMovie and Adobe After Effects. As for equipment, we use Canon 7D Mark II and GoPro Hero5 to shoot the videos.
7. What are some of the common tricks that Topi have to perform?
“Stay”, “lay down”, “sit”, “come here”, bring something, and “hold” (in mouth).
8. Topi is one talented dog! Did you do a lot of training with him? Do you have to give him lots of treats during filming?
We always roll with a full bag of treats and Topi usually gets a treat after each take. We’ve done a lot of training with him. But he is now used to the camera and filming process so most of the time, he knows immediately what we’re looking for him to do.
9. What do you enjoy most about filming videos of Topi?
Spending quality time with our dog and seeing his eagerness to do things we are hoping for. It’s always wonderful to see the moments when Topi understands what needs to be done and starts repeating it.
10. Which is your most popular video and which is your favourite so far?
The most viewed video on Topi’s Facebook is “Laundry Day” with over 6 million views. Topi’s police series is probably our favourite so far.
11. Some of your outdoor filming locations are beautiful! Where is your favourite place?
Most of Topi’s summer videos are filmed at our summer cottage. That has to be our favourite place to film because of the variety of nature and filming opportunities, such as the lake and being able to keep him unleashed.
12. How is Topi like behind the scenes? Is there any difference on-screen and off-screen?
Topi’s natural behavior is the same as in the videos. He’s always happy, very family-centric, curious to explore the world and such a goofer.
13. Is Topi getting another sibling anytime soon?
It would be wonderful for Topi to have a brother or a sister but right now we want to be able to take care of Topi in the best way possible and give all of our attention to him. We might get him a friend later when he’s older.
14. Tell us a little more about your online store!
Currently, Topi has his own merchandise at his website. You can get a postcard with his pawtograph sent to you. Also, there’s a link to Spreadshirt that features clothes, mugs, and accessories. We are also making a calendar of him for the year 2018 for the fans.
15. Any advice for aspiring pet content makers?
Find your own style. Quality material takes a lot of time to make and a lot of patience too. Remember that it’s not about the number of followers but about having fun and making memorable moments with your pet.
16. What will the year 2018 be for Topi and Topi the Corgi?
Hopefully, we can continue to make new adventures of Topi’s life and spread the joy to his fans. Also, we’d like to thank each and every one of Topi’s fans for the love and support so far! 🙂
Photos courtesy of Topi The Corgi