Featured Posts

Vanillapup Picks: K9 Natural Raw Dog Food

K9 Natural Raw Dog Food Lamb Feast | Vanillapup

Mama and I have not looked back since starting on a raw diet. The benefits include improved digestion, shinier coat, cleaner teeth, and healthier poop. For greater convenience and peace of mind, mama has chosen to feed me K9 Natural, a 100% raw and natural dog food made in New Zealand.

As mama gains more experience as a dog owner, I have changed from eating kibbles to home-cooked meals to a raw diet. It’s been close to 6 months since I’ve been on a raw diet, and I must say, there’s no looking back. I have achieved a shinier coat, cleaner teeth, and healthier poop.

K9 Natural Raw Dog Food Lamb Feast | Vanillapup

I used to vomit very frequently too, but that reduced significantly after I switched to a homemade diet, and never happened again since I started on K9 Natural raw dog food – which is what this post is all about!

(Full disclosure: I’m sponsored by Howlistic Life, the distributor of K9 Natural in Singapore)

For those of you who are unfamiliar, or interested in switching your dog to a raw diet, you can read my beginner’s guide on raw diet for dogs first.

Mama started considering commercial raw food after consistently facing the following difficulties:

• Sourcing a variety of meat and organ, and then portioning them (includes handling icky animal parts)
  • Two weeks of food takes up a quarter of freezer space
  • Beneficial grass-fed meat and game meat are very costly in Singapore

But why K9 Natural?

K9 Natural Raw Dog Food | Vanillapup

1. Peace of Mind

The K9 Natural diets are complete and balanced – made with 90% meat, bone, blood, tripe, liver, kidney, and heart; plus 5% egg and green lipped mussel.

If you’ve been thinking of switching your dog to a raw diet, but potential deficiencies in homemade meals worry you, this is a great alternative to consider. There’s no need for supplementation unless your dog is suffering from a medical condition. However, for sparkling clean teeth, reduce the portion and add raw meaty bones to the diet (trust me, the result is miraculous!).

I’ve tried the Venison (yay to game meat!) and Lamb Feast, and mama is happy to finally look at an ingredient list with only natural whole foods – no jargons or added supplements [Update: Supplements are now in their new recipes].

Lamb meat, lamb blood, lamb bone, lamb green tripe, lamb liver, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, spinach (chard), cabbage, apple, pear, lamb hearts, lamb kidneys, eggs, green lipped mussel and garlic.

The first three items of an ingredient list will give you a good sense of the quality of the food you are buying. Avoid food made with meat meal, by-products, fillers, additives. preservatives, or artificial ingredients.

2. Safe and quality ingredients

If you’ve been to New Zealand, you would know just how good their produce is. All K9 Natural products are made of 100% pure and human-grade ingredients sourced and produced in New Zealand.

What’s more, the meats are from free-range and grass-fed poultry and cattle. When I was on a home-prepared raw diet, mama had to feed me grain-fed meat because grass-fed meat is far too expensive in Singapore.

All products are compliant with New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA) regulations and far exceeds the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards.

3. Blood

Ionised calcium in blood can be readily absorbed by your dog’s body and put to use for strong bones and teeth, muscle function, nerve signalling, and more. On the other hand, our body needs to ionise the calcium from supplements, eggshells, and bone meal before it becomes bioavailable. Only a small percentage of what’s ingested will be ionised.

One thing that sets K9 Natural apart from other commercial raw food is that they go to great lengths to put blood back into the diet.

“When an animal is killed for human consumption, they drain the blood from the animal. We put it back in [because] we recognise that there is a huge amount of nutrients in blood. We capture it in a hygienic way because bacteria can grow quickly in blood.” – Calvin Smith, CEO of K9 Natural

4. Convenience

Mama admits that preparing fresh raw meals can be really troublesome. Besides having to source for different types of meat, organ, and bone; she has to chop, weigh, and pack them into the freezer every two weeks.

With K9 Natural, all she has to do is scoop the food into my bowl and add some warm water! Going for long days out and staycations have never been easier.

When transitioning from kibble/cooked food, you only need to give it 12 hours (a night’s sleep) before starting on K9 Natural.

5. Price

K9 Natural comes in two forms – frozen and freeze-dried (no need for freezer storage). I’m eating the freeze-dried version, which comes in three sizes:

• 500g (reconstitutes to 2kg with water)
  • 1.8kg (reconstitutes to 7.2kg)
  • 3.6kg (reconstitutes to 14.4kg)

Mama usually gets the 1.8kg box – it costs about S$150 and will last me 5 weeks (I am fed 3% of my 6.5kg body weight = 200g of food = 50g of K9 Natural daily). That’s about S$4.20 a day for great quality food!

Are you feeding your dog a commercial raw diet or thinking of making the switch? Let us know your thoughts, questions, and experience in the comment box!

K9 Natural | Website | FAQ | Feeding Guide | Retailers

DISCLAIMER: The information found in this post is based on our own research, experience, and opinion. Before making changes to your dog’s diet, please consult a trusted canine healthcare professional.

Follow my journey on Facebook and Instagram.

1. JOy Joy

April 15, 2015 at 6:52 am

would like to know the diff between primal and k9!

• Vanillapup

April 15, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Think you saw my reply on Facebook 🙂

Just pasting it here again in case other people are wondering.

I didn’t let Latte try Primal so I can only share why I chose K9 over Primal. K9 incorporates blood into the food and is made with grass-fed meat. It is complete and balanced using just real food ingredients.

Primal, on the other hand, adds supplements into the food to balance the diet, which is okay but I prefer not. Also, I looked at the ingredient list of their lamb and beef formula, and the first ingredient is lamb/beef heart and then liver. Even tho heart is a muscle meat, I prefer lamb/beef meat making up most of the meat component. It’s good to feed your dog heart but I don’t think it should be the main meat! Not sure why they chose to use only heart, maybe it is a cheaper ingredient?

K9 Natural is also cheaper 🙂

I’ve heard from dog owners who have fed K9 and also those who have fed Primal, they have generally seen improvement in their dog’s coat, poop, etc. So I think either brand should be alright. Just monitor your dog and see how she does!

Hope this helps.

– Latte’s mama, Sarah

2. Rowan

April 21, 2015 at 1:11 am

Hi,
    where do u get raw meaty bones in sg? with the combi w raw food, does latte still need to have his teeth cleaned/scaled? Thanks

• Vanillapup

April 21, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Hi Rowan, raw meaty bones include chicken necks and feet and ox tail (non weight bearing bones). You can get these at supermarkets, wet markets and butcheries. Ox tail has worked really well for Latte, cleaning up all oral plague! Be sure to monitor though, I will remove the bone after she’s done with the meat and cartilage. You can also get really large recreational bones and let your dog chew off the meat and etc. before taking them away.

3. just

July 9, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I do not undersnd the 3% of the body weight. This amount is fed for 1 week? But 200g/5 doesnt give 50g.

My dog weigh 3kg. How much shld i feed her 1 day?

Need your advise

• Vanillapup

July 9, 2015 at 10:18 pm

2-3% of body weight per day is just a guide. You’ll have to monitor your dog’s weight to find out what works best.

Calculation:
      3kg x 2% = 60g of fresh food a day = 15g of K9 Natural freeze-dried food

Hope this helps!

4. lim

January 29, 2016 at 1:04 pm

How much water need to put? & how long the food to be soak before served?

My 10mth old pup weigh at 4.8kg. I feed 4 percent…daily…she seems to be hungry alway…i only soak till semi wet…isit have to fully soaked soggy? Hope u can advise ????????????????

• Vanillapup

January 30, 2016 at 1:12 am

Hi Lim, according to K9 Natural’s feeding guide, puppies between 6-12 months require up to 1.5 times the adult amount. Adults are fed between 2-3% of their weight, depending on factors like age and activity. Based on this calculation, you are feeding the correct amount – 54g per day (3% of her weight). Monitor her to see if the amount is appropriate – there needs to be a clear waist, and you should be able to feel her bones easily with a slight layer of fat. Hope this helps!

• Vanillapup

January 30, 2016 at 1:14 am

You can put an equal amount of lukewarm water to food.

5. lim

January 29, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Around 50g per days

• lim

January 31, 2016 at 7:09 am

Thanks for yr advise!!!!….She is slightly fat..from yr advise i guess maybe she love the food too much ????

6. Evon

March 9, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Hey Sarah and Latte 🙂 would appreciate it so much if you could share your expert is and experience of K9. I finally took the plunge with my girl, Domo, a 4.5years old shih tzu 3-4months back.

She has a whole host of skin problems, and similarly, after subjecting her to prescription diets, medicines, antibiotics and steroids, I decided enough is enough , as she is still suffering!

I read your articles, and started Domo on K9 lamb. Detox for her was quite bad, more skin welts and problems, slight bowel changes and diarrhoea. All were still manageable and after about 2-3 weeks, the most obvious improvement was tear staining! She had very bad tear stains and it was wet and made her white face brown, but K9 diet has resulted in dry eye areas!

But…now the buts..and my questions…She is now turning brown!!! Any experiences or what you heard of from others? Brown as in hair at eye areas where there uses to be tear stains,and rusty brown paws and random pigmentation like areas on belly!! Does not seem to be yeast or licking of paws..as she has done licking of paws before but not like overnight sudden change of fur colour like now. First 2 months on K9 was all good, probably 3rd month in that this brown fur change and brown paws started.

Also, she is getting so skinny?! I reasoned that her previous home cooked food and kibbles might have added unnecessary fillers and thus fat, but now her ribs and bones are all apparent under touch and protruding, visible too.

Any insight to share?

Also, I got so upset with all these problems , plus he fact that I wanted to change from lamb to venison for Domo to try but it seemed k9 venison was all sold out, so since last week I let Domo try Primal. I don’t know if it’s psychological, but she’s not as brown anymore! Very slight, but that’s what I observed. And Primal portion seems to be more after reconstitution! For both K9 and Primal I feed freeze dried.

Domo was about 5.5 to 6kg, but she lost weight and I estimate her to be about 5 to 5.5kg now 🙁
    I am so worried I was feeding her too little K9 previously! She’s on 2 meals so I followed K9’s calculation , which was 0.7 scoops a meal. It was the small scoop in the 500g bag. When I got the 1.8kg bag, the scoop became a cup and I didn’t know how to feed like a 0.2 cup portion! So I reused the scoop from the 500g bag. She looked so skinny, was so ravenous still, and also became a canine vacuum cleaner under the table which she never used to do!! So I started giving her more, 1 full scoop instead.

On Primal, I compared the reconstituted portion and it does look more! That said, they are different so I just judged based on portion size and also because Primal had a feeding calculator which was easy to use to qlculate how many nuggets to feed.

So sorry for this loooooong mail and countless questions..I’m just feeling like a really terrible dog mummy!!

• Vanillapup

March 9, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Hi Evon, you are definitely not a terrible mummy! Good on you to give Domo a quality diet. Usually rusty brown paws indicate yeast, but it’s strange that the colour change is overnight! Could she be licking while you are not looking? I would advise checking with your trusted vet on this change.

As for her weight, if her ribs are protruding then she’s certainly too thin. Individual dogs require different amounts of food – depending on breed, size, age, activity etc. Usually the rough guide is 2-3% of your dog’s ideal weight, which means 120-180g of food = 30-45g a day for a 6kg dog. At the end of the day, it’s only a guide. You can increase/decrease the amount accordingly 🙂

I haven’t tried Primal before but based on feedback, some dogs do better on K9 Natural and others do better on Primal. I guess it depends! I chose K9 Natural because there’s blood in the food which is a great source of ionised calcium, and it’s made in New Zealand.

You can consider adding omega 3 fish oil to her diet too. Hope this helps!

7. wxx

April 27, 2016 at 2:42 am

Hi. I’ve start my dog on k9 freeze dried lamb for more then a month now but it seems like now she doesn’t want to eat her food at all. She just smells and walk away. Was wondering if you’ve any experience like this before ? Or any advice on what to do ? It’s been worrying me ever since she’s not eating.

• Vanillapup

April 27, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Latte never had a problem with K9 Natural. What did you feed her before K9?

If Latte doesn’t like a certain food the first time, I would leave it there for 10 minutes. If she doesn’t eat it, I would keep it till the next meal. If she still doesn’t eat, I would try giving her some other food to see whether it’s the food or her appetite. Some people believe we should not spoil the dog, withholding food till the dog eats. I don’t believe that, especially if your dog is usually quite greedy. I would find something else that my dog likes to eat and if she’s not eating anything at all, I would consult a vet.

8. Gail Sethi

September 6, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Hi. My 2yo Spore Special has severe food allergies. Was on cyclosporin for 2mths and his skin cleared up. But now that he’s off the cyclo, he’s starting to scratch again. He was on prescription kibbles but I switched him to Wellness Simple Ingredient Salmon. Everyone has been telling me to try him on K9 but cost was a big factor and I wasn’t sure if he would develop diarrhea as he has a weak gut.

Can I ask:

2) do I feed him 2 cups a day?

3) is there a chance he will have diarrhea?

4) which protein should I choose. Beef or lamb. Will either one trigger his allergies?

Thanks heaps.

• Vanillapup

September 7, 2016 at 9:53 am

Hi Gail! Thanks for your comment. Sad to hear that your SS is having food allergies. Do you know what he’s allergic to? It’s important to know what he’s allergic to before deciding on what to feed him. You can find out either by food elimination trial or an allergy skin/blood test.

K9 Natural is a commercial raw diet, which should be easily digestible for your dog. However, when switching from kibbles to raw, you may want to do a transition – starting with 3/4 kibbles and 1/4 raw, and slowly increasing raw to 100%.

To answer your questions:

1) how long will a 3.6kg box last? He’s abt 18kg. He has lost 5kg since being on the cyclosporin.

We usually feed 2-3% of your dog’s ideal weight. So if he should ideally be 23kg then 3% would be 690g of fresh food per day. You can adjust that percentage accordingly (if he gains/loses too much weight). As the K9 Natural is freeze-dried, you need to divide 690g equivalent of fresh food by 4 – about 170g of freeze-fried K9 Natural. Hence, a 3.6kg box will last him about 21 days.

2) do I feed him 2 cups a day? You will need to weigh about 170g of k9 Natural for his whole day’s intake.

3) is there a chance he will have diarrhea?

Yes, there’s a chance he will get diarrhea as his digestive system is transiting from kibbles to raw. If he’s experiencing diarrhea, then increase his kibbles to raw proportion until he’s fully adapted.

Lamb is usually recommended for food allergic pets. But again, it depends on what food he’s allergic to. Lamb is also a fattier protein so do adjust his meal size as you monitor his weight.

Hope this helps!

• Gail Sethi

September 12, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll try the beef freeze-dried. Hope he’s ok with it and won’t have diarrhea. He’s skin is starting to flare up now that he’s off the cyclosporin and pred. Heartbreaking to see him go through all his skin issues again. Thx again.

9. Laura

September 25, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Hi, I started feeding Oscar the lamb green tripe as well as the lamb feast but he only likes to eat it dry. Is it ok not to add water?

• Vanillapup

September 26, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Hi Laura! It’s okay not to add water if he drinks sufficient water on his own. If he doesn’t like drinking water, you will probably need to try adding some crushed fruits or treats into it to entice him.