Health & Medical

What Mama Feeds Me. It’s Home Cooked!

Home-cooked Food for Dogs | Vanillapup

[Update: I am no longer on a home cooked diet. You can read my raw diet posts here and here to see what I am eating now]

Being typical of a westie, I still get bugged by skin issues after going for my Beee-o (bioresonance) allergy test. It’s really not hard to trigger off bumps and itchy skin, which can last for a long time. All I need is a teeny weeny taste of delicious but detrimental food that I’m very allergic to and boom! the scratching and nibbling begin. Mama describes me as a ticking time bomb 🙁

As advised by the vet, mama started cooking for me. No more yucky kibbles! However, even with the doctor’s advice, mama wasn’t assured that my diet was balanced and complete. After tapping furiously on her silver machine and scribbling notes on pieces of paper, she was right. But who can she blame? A vet is not a new-tree-tion-neeese (another hard word). But a mama is different. A mama has to be a caregiver, a nurse, a researcher, a teacher, and the list goes on!

This was what the vet told mama to cook for/feed me every day:

• 200g – 300g of lamb/beef (mama blanches the meat so it’s not completely cooked, and she reduced the amount to 150g a day cause she thinks I’m fat. Ouch.)
  • Carrots and peas (about 40g per day, mama replaced peas with broccoli)
  • A slice of papaya
  • Multi-vitamin dog mix (the vet said 1 scoop but the package instructions stated half a scoop for my weight. After calculating my ideal vitamin/mineral intake, mama went with half a scoop. She also gives me liver supplements now)

The vet did want to give me “calcium powder” but mama reminded her that I’m allergic to it. Sadly, she didn’t give any alternative. This would result in an imbalanced diet and deficiency in the long run, but she didn’t tell mama that either.

Mama says calcium is essential for dogs, and part of a balanced nutrition means balancing our “calcium” and “phosphorous” intake. This means I need about 300mg of pure calcium a day! Mama tried giving me pounded egg shells to make up for that but turns out I’m allergic to it too. After battling the impossible mathematical equations, she still couldn’t balance the “calcium” and “phosphorous” in my diet. Also, it’s important to note that something high in “calcium” may be even higher in “phosphorous” (e.g. chia seeds), which defeats the purpose! With all that, and taking another vet’s advice, she gives me half a teaspoon of “calcium powder” made of seaweed every day. Fingers crossed!

Mama is still learning and more often than not, it takes a little bit of experimentation and conversations with experts and other mamas and papas to create a diet that’s suitable for each individual furkid. The learning never stops because we grow and change every single day! How’s that for a challenging job 😛

If you are cooking for your dog, Mama says this is a good read:

Follow my photo diary on Instagram.

1. mmeeshell

June 20, 2014 at 3:12 pm

What about raw?

• vanillapup

June 23, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Some people swear by BARF, but mama is still not very sure about it. She hasn’t done enough research on feeding raw yet. I was fed kibbles before mama took me home so she followed it till I begun to have allergies. The vet recommended to cook my meals, but to keep it as raw as possible 🙂 The blanching is probably to get rid of any bacteria in raw food, while preserving the raw qualities of the food as much as possible.

Are you feeding raw? How is it so far?

• 米雪兒 ♥

June 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Yep I’m feeding raw. She was on kibbles when I first brought her home. After switching to raw I found that her coat is much softer and shinier, and she has more consistent energy. Poop is nicer and she looks much better overall. Could be because she didn’t have alot of problems to begin with. But I did hear about raw getting rid of allergies. For example, allergic to cooked chicken doesn’t mean allergic to raw chicken.

I did do a lot of research before I started, and was quite scared. But now more than a year on raw, it’s really quite simple and straightforward and I find it really fun to go grocery shopping for meat and adding new kinds of stuff for her.

My blog has a few entries on me switching my girl to raw. Hope you find it useful. And hopefully raw will be able to help you get rid of your allergies! 🙂

• totomameee

June 23, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Haha 米雪兒 ♥ have u tried exotic like frog legs? Or croc meat? Hahaha ~ Now TOto is mostly on Chicken, Pork and if I see discount lamb and beef, I get for him too!

• Mag Yuen

June 19, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Yes, you can feed your dog frog legs or Croc meat.

I give my fur kids desserts like gingko barley with Bean crud sheets, sweeten with manuka honey (cooling diet)

• Vanillapup

June 19, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing!

• 米雪兒 ♥

June 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm

eh totomamee no exotic stuff yet. personally i don’t take meat so it took quite some time for me to accept handling so much meat lol.

Currently mine is on chicken/beef/lamb/mutton/venison/pork, and a little salmon if we have extra. I want to try tongue and heart and lungs but i’m not sure if i can handle touching them. oops.

• totomameee

June 23, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Hahaha no choice leh, I keep reading that we have to give them a variety of different ‘area’ of meat plus Pork heart/tongue duck./chicken gizzards cheap! I even feed Pork speen for that extra 5% organs haiz …

• totomameee

June 24, 2014 at 1:23 pm

米雪兒 ♥
        So paiseh hijack latte post, I have PM u in your FB, maybe check your message inbox *Others*?

• vanillapup

June 24, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Lol. No problem! Love to see discussions here!

• 米雪兒 ♥

June 23, 2014 at 3:52 pm

yep as much variety as possible. where did u get ur icky stuff? my area don’t have leh. 🙁

i’m quite squeamish about this kind so I guess i need to slowly add. even chicken feet i started only recently. they freaked me out bad lol!

• vanillapup

June 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Yeah where do you get the icky stuff? Mama doesn’t like to handle yucky meat parts too.

After cooking for me, my poop immediately got better. I used to vomit in the morning occasionally, but that problem was also solved! It’s definitely a big improvement from kibbles. Hehehe.

Mama is also going to get a book on raw and natural nutrition. Will share more if it’s any good 🙂

• totomameee

June 23, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Mostly shengsong, I see pig heart in cold storage too but so much more expensive. I got quite a few post on TOto blog too on raw diet … TOto just started last year August. And he loves it!

Latte request some chicken feet?? High in calcium n glucosamine, not bloody just look like normal wet treat?? I chopped up into 2-3 pieces for TOto!

• 米雪兒 ♥

June 23, 2014 at 7:00 pm

totomameee how does pig heart look like when cut? lol nobody dare to touch it in my house. i also got this fear that blood will squirt out when you cut into it. :/

• totomameee

June 23, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Pig heart n tongue quite firm leh, even firmer than chicken meat. Maybe can try cut semi frozen stage then the meat firmer n won’t be squirmy.

The only times blood spit out is when I chopped chicken feet.
        Some cube up meat I feed toto for reference hahaha

• 米雪兒 ♥

June 23, 2014 at 10:51 pm

i bought heart and tongue just now. heart is surprisingly okay but tongue….the texture….is not something i can get used to immediately lol. and how lucky toto is, to have duck. can share share abit? haha i dunno what to do with the whole thing.

2. toto mameee

June 22, 2014 at 12:39 am

Cook food confirm so much healthier !!

Hallo latte mammy i think you can also add gizzards, hearts, organ into the ‘meat’ portion and always liver (Toto hate that, I have to ‘hide’ it with yoghurts) and also internal organs. I buy my internals from shengsong, they have all the ickys including tongue, hearts, liver, kidney etc.

Oh I see people minced up the bones with the meat, so I wonder if you buy ur meat source maybe can mince everything including the bones? But then I don’t know whether cooked bones work the same as raw bones? Or latte can take yohurt? Maybe when he get healthier having cook meals, he might just be clear of his allergies!!!

Jiayou Latte!

• vanillapup

June 23, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Hello!

Mama wanted to give me organs too but hasn’t gone down to reading more about it. Grounding cooked bones proved too troublesome for her so she’s just giving me calcium powder. Lazy lazy mama.

I love yoghurt and milk! But the vet asked mama to remove dairy from my diet for the time being 🙁

Thanks for the well wishes, we all hope I get better soon!

• totomameee

June 23, 2014 at 3:34 pm

TOto having raw now… from what I understand lung, heart, gizzards, tongues are consider muscle meat (cheaper too).

Only organs that secrete are consider internal 5%. Percentage goes something like 80-10-10. 80% meat/muscle 10%bones (I give more than that to harden his poop, and I give chicken feet mostly) and then 5% internals such as brains/eyes/kidney/spleen and 5% livers.

Mixed it up!
        I guess it should goes the same if you blanch them.

TOto not having any fruits or veggies but then if he wants a 3rd meal at night I still give him kibbles. I prep raw 2x a day.

3. Oreo

August 3, 2014 at 12:20 am

HI LATTE! Landing my paws on your dog blog hahaha just wanna say I eat papaya too! (Dr Ly right? Hehe) Since you’ve went for allergy test, don’t you think it’s difficult to feast at dog cafés?:( Mama’s so sad that she can’t bring me to eat there often cuz of skin allergies:(
    -@oreowah

• vanillapup

August 3, 2014 at 11:17 am

Welcome to my blog! I am on a strict diet so no treats, and definitely no food from cafés! Mama brings papaya/carrots when we head out so I won’t feel too sad haha.

4. June

August 5, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I sent mine for Bioresonance test a few years back. What I did was I detoxed his blood using burdock root, detoxed the liver using milk thistle, detoxed the kidney using Chinese parsley. Then most allergies improved.

Also got a few air-purifier and a water-purifier. I noticed with clean air and environment, things are much better.

Just for sharing.

and… most vets in SG seems to be money-grabbers… not very skilled either… and those “holistic” ones use the pets as guinea pigs.. lots of trial and errors… so I won’t bring again unless life and death matter.

• vanillapup

August 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

Hi June!

Agree with you on the vets. Mama is still trying to find a vet she can trust. Never heard about dog detox before. Did you consult the vet or is it something you learned?

Mama got me both air and water purifier but not much difference. What really helped was shoes when I go out. Think I’m allergic to grass 🙁

5. Lucy

August 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Hi! My momma would like to start cooking me food too because of my allergies. She has decided to start simple with mince beef and sweet potato and carrots. How do you cook your food? Blanching the meat but what about the veggies!

Thank you so much!

• vanillapup

August 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Hello!

Mama would steam the vegetables till soft because dogs cannot digest raw vegetables! She said that steaming will only reduce the phosphorous level in the food, which she thinks I don’t need so much of 🙂

6. Debakshi

February 1, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Hi
    My Snowy has been advised frog meat. He is on a food trial.I just bought some from SengSiong. Has anyone given frog meat to a Westie? How should it be cooked? Am clueless!