Health & Medical

Bioresonance Allergy Test

Bioresonance Allergy Test Process | Vanillapup

To find out what Latte was allergic to, we sent her for a bioresonance allergy test. Read to see why we chose it, what it entails, and how much it costs.

[Update, May 2015: There has been a discussion on how the bioresonance allergy test is not scientifically-proven, and some readers have asked me for my thoughts on it.

I chose to let Latte go for this test solely because it is non-invasive and conducted at the clinic by a certified practitioner. I cannot vouch for its accuracy because I am not an expert but I have heard first-hand how the condition of some dogs has improved because of elimination after the test.

However, I have to emphasise that this test, like any other test and elimination methods,  does not treat. To me, it is a good gauge of just how susceptible your dog is to allergens. Sadly, it does not solve the root problem.

In latte’s case, she was allergic to so many things, it would be hard to live. I think the real problem here is that many dog owners (like me when I first wrote this post) think that the way to treat allergies is to eliminate, eliminate, eliminate…forever. And that is something the practitioner and vets at the clinic will tell you to do – I don’t agree with that.

If all dog owners do is eliminate, it’s likely that their dogs will get allergic to more and more things. It is running from the problem, not solving it.

But how do you solve the problem? First of all, it’s good to ask what’s causing the problem. The answer may lie in your dog’s immune system.

A poor immune system can also lead to other conditions like yeast infection, which will make the itching so much worse. This is a whole other topic by itself, which I will probably cover in the future.

For me, I believe in using holistic therapy to boost immunity. When the immunity is poor, elimination is essential to avoid the aggravation of symptoms, but the key thing is that you have to do something about building immunity (and avoiding things like steroids and antibiotics that suppress immunity), instead of just eliminating.

It will take a long time, but to me, it’s the only way to go. – Latte’s mama]

Hi everyone!

As some of you might know, I was suffering from itchy skin for quite a few months. We westies are very prone to skin issues and even though mama knew this when she got me, my constant itch still drove her mad.

Mama wanted to bring me for an allergy test since I was a puppy but it wasn’t a priority until I started licking and scratching non-stop. However, when she consulted various vets, they didn’t recommend it. Common reasons given were that I was too young and that the results might not be helpful to mama. For example, what can she do if she found out that I was allergic to dust mites?

But mama followed her instincts and insisted on bringing me for the test. Once again, she tapped furiously on her silver machine to learn more about these tests. There are three that she knows of:

• Skin test – Possible allergens are injected slightly apart into the dog’s skin near the rib area. Wherever the skin swells, it means the dog is allergic to the particular allergen. This is more accurate than blood test but it requires mild sedation and may break your heart
  • Blood test – The test measures the amount of IgE compound in the dog’s blood. This compound helps the dog fight allergens
  • Bioresonance test – This non-invasive and painless test monitors how the dog’s and the possible allergens’ electromagnetic frequencies influence each other. You can find out if your dog is allergic by looking at the oscillation pattern, produced by the frequencies. Hence, results are immediate

Okay, away from the difficult words. It’s not hard to guess which test mama chose – the bioresonance test! Oops, tricky word again. Let’s call it the Beee-o test! Better? They should ask pups to name these tests instead 😉

She brought me to my old vet clinic, The Animal Recovery Centre at Serangoon Road. Before the test, mama had to prepare 20 items that I frequently eat or come into contact with.

Bioresonance Allergy Test Preparation | Vanillapup

At the clinic, the items were transferred into tiny glass cups! I was wishing they would let me clean up afterwards ;D

Bioresonance Allergy Test Items | Vanillapup

Me during the test! Lucia, my practitioner was really nice and friendly. Maybe because she found me adorable 🙂 I felt at ease but got bored quite quickly. Mama solved this problem easily by bribing me with foods she brought for the test that I tested negative for!

Bioresonance Allergy Test Process | Vanillapup

The test included testing standard allergen samples (such as different meats, vegetables, pollen, and oils), things that the clinic sold, such as prescription diets, supplements, and shampoo, and the things mama brought.

Bioresonance Allergy Test Results | Vanillapup

Through this test, mama found out that I am allergic to many things that I usually ate! I am allergic to common ingredients used in dog food and treats, such as apple, rice, potato, coconut oil, duck, turkey, chicken, oats, barley, and banana. I am also allergic to things I used to come in contact with on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, such as my shampoo, heartworm prevention medication, Revolution, calcium supplement and the prescription diet that the vet prescribed me for my skin issues!

Within a few days of eliminating the things that I’m allergic to, I have stopped scratching and licking completely! That makes me as happy as mama 🙂 [Update: It’s up to you whether you believe this test works or not but my itching came back about one month later and subsequent tests didn’t improve my condition. Eventually, a vet diagnosed me to have environmental allergies. You can read more here.]

Price: $300 (excl. GST) at The Animal Recovery Centre. If you want to bring more than 20 items, they will charge $2 for each additional item. After the test, you may choose to consult a vet for an additional fee.

Accuracy: No test is 100% accurate. The practitioner said the test is about 70% accurate.

Overall experience: The test was what mama calls non-invasive. It was quick, painless and totally easy for mama and me! I wasn’t afraid at all and enjoyed playing with a hamster friend called Lucas!

1. Cherin

March 21, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for the details, the information is very useful.
    Glad u found out the underlying issues. The test is still beneficial, at least it doesn’t add on to more scratching. My shiba is was BARF, which gave her diarrhea monthly. We sterilized the wares and followed instructions to thaw it in the chiller, serve it quick to avoid contamination. Now we switch it to home-cook organic veg + hormone free meat/fish/eggs + organic rice/potato/pumpkin. Nothing commercial. She still scratch herself many times a day, not the serious type of itch thou..
    Should we bring cooked salmon/rice/meat for the test? Not raw ya?

• Vanillapup

March 23, 2015 at 12:40 pm

You should bring the exact things that your shiba is/will be eating. So if you are feeding cooked, then bring cooked. However, I would recommend a raw diet. Never tried BARF before, but Latte is on k9 Natural now. She is also seeing Terry, a consultant at Howlistic Life (https://www.facebook.com/howlisticlifeSG). He has helped Latte way more than any vet has. U may want to consider seeing him, but his approach is all-natural, no chemical, and definitely a raw diet. We are sponsored by Howlistic Life and him 🙂

• Cherin

March 23, 2015 at 3:20 pm

That’s a good option to explore. I have just booked an appointment for the allergy test. Hope the test can shed some light. Thanks!

2. Cherin

March 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Hi vanilla pup. Everything has its controversy. U went thru the test, surely ur mama won’t feed u things tat u now know it’s bad for u. Is your skin better now?
    I’m thinking of bringing my shiba for this test too.

• Vanillapup

March 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm

Hi Cherin, Latte is doing better now 🙂 The test is great at showing the extent of your dog’s allergies, but it does not treat (it’s just a test (just like a blood/skin test) to complement diagnosis and treatment, but I think many people misunderstand its purpose, arguing about something that the test does not promise).

If the test shows that your dog is only allergic to a few items, it will be easy to eliminate while you build up your dog’s immunity and tolerance towards the items. But if the test shows that your dog is allergic to almost everything, you may want to explore holistic treatments instead of trying to eliminate everything. Latte did really well for a month after the 1st test (no medication was given), but her allergies came back because we didn’t do anything to treat her underlying problem.

The test is expensive but it has worked for some dog owners that I’ve spoken with. I like it because it is non-invasive, and you can bring your own items to test. A blood test uses lab samples, so it’s accuracy is also debatable. But I think what I’ve learnt is to focus on building immunity (and in Latte’s case, fighting yeast overgrowth), and avoiding chemicals. Everything else is complementary.

Hope this helps!

3. Eeyore E

February 24, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Oddly enough, a google search easily found bioresonance diagnosis and therapy offered in the USA, not sure why they haven’t been hauled up yet.

Anyway, I would be interested in knowing how many “standard allergen samples” were provided by the ARC for testing (excluding those brought in by the pet owner)? Thank you.

4. Dave C

January 12, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Bioresonance would have to be the biggest load of hog wash / garbage. You have basically paid all that money for someone to wave a wand over your dog and tell you a whole lot of worthless information. Please, seriously seek out proper information before subjecting your dog / cat to such garbage. Look for scientific literature that actually proves this works before wasting your money. If this test was offered in UK, Aus or USA, the vet would be hauled up to face the relevant state Veterinary Boards for juping the public. Please check carefully!!!!

• Jane D

January 13, 2015 at 12:52 am

Agree with this statement. There are very few papers supporting the efficacy of bioresonance as a therapy option and none as a diagnostic tool for allergies. In fact, there are a number of papers saying it is ineffective, inappropriate or has led to misdiagnosis.

The placebo effect applies to pets too, and the fact that you saw results immediately makes me wonder if it was im fact due to cutting out these items, or if you received proper medical treatment for the condition during a consultation after.

5. The Furry Tales

November 12, 2014 at 8:12 am

I’m thinking of sending Lucy for a test too coz she’s so itchy!! Switched to raw and even more itchy. Your test doesn’t include dust mites does it?

• vanillapup

November 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hi! Oh no, never heard a dog getting more itchy after being switched to raw. Hope she gets better soon! The test doesn’t include dust mites, unless you can bring a sample of your own. I guess the issue is whether you can eliminate it after knowing that she’s allergic. How about cleaning detergents? Try using natural cleaners like vinegar 🙂 Skin & coat formulas and Omega 3 may also help!

6. Amy Wise

October 28, 2014 at 11:32 am

Very interesting Vanilla Pup… Being allergic to things isn’t the end of the world. Now you’re managing it there are so many other things in the world to enjoy!

7. weliveinaflat

April 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm

OMG You are allergic to so many things!!! Are you comfortable to share how much the test cost?

It reminds me to really look into the puppy and make sure their parents and grandparents don’t suffer from these problems if I were to ever consider getting a puppy 😉 .

• vanillapup

April 22, 2014 at 12:14 am

Yes 🙁 The test cost $300 before GST. You may also want to consult a doctor after the test for recommendations, but it’s not mandatory. The test was really effective in pinpointing things that I’m allergic to! I stopped scratching immediately. It’s really miraculous.

Yes, it’s important to ensure that the family history is all clear. Also, choose the breed that suits your lifestyle the most and read up on the pup’s breed to really understand whether you are ready for it!

• weliveinaflat

April 26, 2014 at 3:58 pm

That’s quite a lot of money, but at least the results help you a lot to stop the scratching! 😉 Looks like the range of food you can feed is going to be limited though.

• Julie mcGugan

January 21, 2015 at 8:13 pm

I can spend almost that much EACH time I bring my dog to the vet when she has skin flare-up…All I’m given is steroids and anti-inflam meds and maybe a medicated shampoo or skin wash! I’d rather spend the money and actually find out how to PREVENT the skin problem….Will give this serious thought…