Health & Medical

The curious case of itchy skin

Latte the Westie

I’ve been scratching, licking and nibbling on my skin so much lately that it drives mama crazy. The uncontrollable itch has got my hind legs automatically rubbing against my chest and face every few minutes. My thighs and elbows have also started balding due to my obsessive licking.

I hate to see mama upset but my body’s reaction to the sudden itch comes quickly and naturally. Mama has been giving me stern “no” warnings every time she catches me in the act. In that moment, guilt will rush over me but when the uncomfortable sensation hits, I’d forget what a bad pup I was and go back to nibbling again.

Not sure if they are related, but mama began to slap “colloidal silver” on me at about the same time the frequent itching started. She will also go to the mini cool box at least once a day to grab a white bottle that sprays awful tasting liquid. Whenever she opens the mini cool box, I will instinctively hurry away hoping she would understand that “I’m not here. I’m not here. I’m not here”. But mama always catches me and sprays the liquid all over my itchy skin. After which, as much as I will love to lick and nibble on my skin, I can’t because I hate the taste of it. Yuck!

It was when red bumps appeared that mama and Lionel brought me to see the vet. I don’t like this kind of car rides. I shiver at the thought of going into a building with anxious animals. I don’t really like to be put on a tall table and examined by the doctor no matter how nice she seems. My suspicions were confirmed when she took out a small stick and rubbed it repeatedly on different parts of my skin. I could smell a metallic smell and knew immediately that she made me bleed! I concluded that seemingly nice people cannot be trusted too.

When we got home, mama bathed me with a different smelling liquid. It felt like it took longer than usual and I was miserable! My dinner also came with two additional treats, but they aren’t the tasty types. Sometimes mama makes bad decisions.

I hope I get better because I know that will make mama and Lionel happy. I can also do without the itch; though I’m sure I will still lick my paws out of habit.

1. Shawna

September 6, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i
    know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates unique, SEO
    friendly posts in minutes, just search in google – k2seotips unlimited content

2. Daryl

July 21, 2014 at 8:31 am

I see a lot of interesting content on your blog.

You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is a tool that creates unique, SEO friendly articles in couple of seconds, just type in google – k2 unlimited
    content

3. a

June 19, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a
    blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and without a
    doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is
    something that too few people are speaking intelligently
    about. Now i’m very happy that I came across this in my search for something regarding this.

• vanillapup

June 20, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Hi!

Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. I’m very glad that you found the blog useful, and I hope to see you around often!

Do subscribe / follow to support us 🙂

Love,
      Sarah

4. totomameeet

January 29, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Poor thing, hope u feel better soon! Have u have any new treats/kibbles/chews/biscuits recently? Change of detergent for the cloths stuff that you use? Change shampoo? Stressing out because ur mommy working?

The last time TOto stress out because we left him too long in the USA, and we guess he realises it and he starts chewing his leg too, although it wasn’t bad but the staffs in the daycamp saw the subtle change. Luckily they spot it fast, more love and attention solve the problem thou.

Hope you find the root of the problem soon.
    Hugs …

• vanillapup

February 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Thanks! I was given a chicken treat around the same time I started itching. But it’s been so long and I’m still having problems so not sure if it’s that. Other than that, no change at all! The medication and shampoo given by the vet didn’t help. Hence, mama is changing my food to a hypo-allergenic one. Hopefully I will get better 🙂

• totomameee

February 7, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I guess usually is the FOOD! Hopes u feel better soon! =) Look out for chicken oil or any ‘hidden’, mini wording in ingredients that says Poultry! My husband damn Kiasee about that!